Clowes Memorial Hall of Butler University will celebrate its 50th birthday Oct. 20-27 with a week of special programming.
The events include:
• 4 p.m. Oct. 20: Public open house and gallery opening of the 50th Mosaic. Clowes Memorial Hall, in honor of its 50th anniversary, has gathered artwork from Hoosier artists to be part of a large mosaic of visual art that will adorn the south wall of the Clowes main lobby throughout the 2013-14 season. Patrons will also be able to tour the newly restored theater and backstage areas of Clowes on both guided and unguided tours.
• 7:30 p.m. Oct. 21: “The Show Goes On: Clowes Memorial Hall at 50” — 50th anniversary documentary airing on WFYI (Channel 20).
• 7:30 p.m. Oct. 24: Mark O’Connor with Butler University Symphony Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble/Butler Ballet performance of an original piece by Gustavo Ramirez Sansano. (free admission, but a ticket is required)
• 8 p.m. Oct. 25: Colbie Caillat and Kenny Loggins in concert. (Tickets start at $50)
• 8 p.m. Oct. 26: Whoopi Goldberg. (Tickets start at $50)
• 2 p.m. Oct. 27: Disney’s Pixar in Concert with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Erik Ochsner. (Tickets start at $50)
Tickets are on sale now at the Clowes Hall Box Office and online at ticketmaster.com. More information is available from the Clowes Hall box office, 940-6444 and ClowesHall.org/50.
Clowes Hall, which opened Oct. 18, 1963, was conceived by Dr. George Henry Alexander Clowes and his wife, Edith Whitehill Clowes, as a center of culture and entertainment. More than 9 million people have seen the 10,000-plus performances in the 2,172-seat theater, which ranks among the top 100 theaters of its size in the world for number of tickets sold.
Clowes also serves as a centerpiece for pre-K-12 educational programming. Since 1991, education programs alone have brought nearly 800,000 preK-12 students to the hall, which was designed by famed Indianapolis architect Evans Woollen.