Hendricks County Flyer, Avon, IN

September 4, 2013

Quakers roll over Warriors

By Jake Thompson jake.thompson@flyergroup.com
Hendricks County Flyer

---- — PLAINFIELD — Despite winning 5-0 over visiting Covenant Christian Saturday morning, Plainfield girls’ soccer coach Krissy Sullivan left the game thinking her team could have executed a little bit better, especially early on.

“It took us a good 10 to 15 minutes to get warmed up and ready to play,” Sullivan said. “I told the girls we can’t have that warm-up period and that we have to play right from the start. Our schedule is picking up pretty quick, so they have to be ready to get going from the get go.”

Covenant struggled to get any offense going all game, something coach Theron Smith said was due in part to three players — Katie Wilson, Drew Ester-Bode and Shana Ghooray— being out because of injury.

“Those injuries plagued our offense a little bit,” Smith said. “We’ve a little bit more attack than we had today.”

Junior forward/defender Mea Wallace bookended Plainfield’s scoring with two goals on the day.

“Wallace definitely stepped up and she is a kid that I can put anywhere on the field and she knows her role,” Sullivan said. “She’s willing to come in and make a difference.”

Plainfield’s offense pushed the ball against Covenant through the entire first half, racking up 11 shots and three corner kicks.

Covenant goalkeeper Andie McKeighan withstood the pressure for a while, but Plainfield eventually found its marks. It was McKeighan’s first game at goal for Covenant, and she finished with 14 saves.

“She stepped up and did a great job,” Smith said. “I kept telling her to be prepared to get her chance and I felt she did a great job for the team today.”

With 15:55 left in the half, a long assist by Allison Abbe to Wallace paid off for a 1-0 Plainfield lead.

Plainfield struck again just over a minute later as Angela Barnett found the back of the net for an unassisted goal.

Covenant’s offense mustered only two shots on goal in the first half.

Kaitlyn Brickey’s shot sailed over the crossbar on a free kick off a penalty and Plainfield goalkeeper Tessa Strube easily scooped up Rachel McLimore’s slow roller. Strube stayed focused and along with strong defensive play, recorded the shutout.

Abbe added Plainfield’s third goal with 28:37 remaining and just over five minutes later sophomore Londyn Feasel tacked on another for a 4-0 advantage.

Wallace added her second goal with 5:09 left to go on an assist from Brittany Davis.

Plainfield was without potent scorer and senior leader Sophie Warren due to an injury.

“We’re waiting to find out and she’s headed to the doctor next week,” Sullivan said. “Hopefully, we’ll get her back. It doesn’t look like anything season-ending or anything. We definitely miss her out there but we’ve got a core group that’s stepping up to fill her spot until we get her back.”