INDIANAPOLIS — The Indianapolis Colts head into the 2013 National Football League draft with some definite plans.
One thing seems to be certain. If the Colts don’t see a player they like at the No. 24 spot in the first round, second-year general manager Ryan Grigson said that he isn’t adverse to trading down a round.
The NFL Draft begins with the first round Thursday night, followed by the second and third rounds on Friday evening. Rounds four through seven will be completed Saturday afternoon.
Indianapolis traded away its second-round pick last fall to Miami in exchange for veteran cornerback Vontae Davis.
“You have to be fluid to a point,” Grigson voiced last Thursday during his pre-draft press conference. “You can’t be so stringent that you can’t bend a little bit. It’s obvious that I’m in a way different place than where I was last year with this whole process. [Coach] Chuck [Pagano] and I have looked at the whole landscape as compared to last year after free agency. And it looks a lot different.”
Indianapolis added 10 veteran players over the last month through free agency — quarterback Matt Hasselbeck (Tennessee), outside linebacker Erik Walden (Green Bay), safety LaRon Landry (NY Jets), defensive tackle Ricky Jean Francois (San Francisco), defensive end Lawrence Sidbury (Atlanta), nose tackle Aubrey Franklin (San Diego), offensive tackle Gosder Cherilis (Detroit), offensive guard Donald Thomas (New England), cornerback Greg Toler (Arizona), and wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey (Oakland).
“We’ve solidified some areas. And we’ve also created competition in the position groups, which is what we always really wanted to do when Chuck and I started this thing. And we’re getting close to that goal,” Grigson said. “I’d say we still have the same philosophy [about the draft] but it’s a little bit different than last year where we just had some gaping holes in a lot of spots that needed to be addressed with a new defense and so forth. We feel like we’re in a better position.”