Hendricks County Flyer, Avon, IN

November 30, 2012

Tigers tame Bulldogs

By Matt Anderson

FISHERS — A late third quarter run was enough for Fishers to get past the Brownsburg boys’ basketball team Friday night. In a game that changed leads constantly for 30 minutes, in the end the Tigers pulled away for a 60-53 victory.

Tied at 38 with 1:43 remaining in the third, Fishers went on an 8-0 run to close the quarter and proceeded to go on a 6-0 run to start the fourth. With six minutes left in the game Brownsburg found themselves down 14 points, their biggest deficit of the contest at 52-38.

“We allowed them scoring, to rush us offensively and we took bad shots that allowed them to score more,” Brownsburg coach Ronald Nored said. “We never really buckled down, and said ‘Hey, this is a possession we got to get a stop on.” We just kind of let it roll over and over.”

When Kenneth Walton broke the Bulldogs out of their slump on a three-point play, Brownsburg went on a 15-4 run to cut the lead to three at 56-53. However, the Bulldogs were running out of time with 33 seconds remaining.

“We just decided to play,” Nored said. “We were playing hard, we were in tune, we were active . . . they didn’t score and in turn we went down and scored every time.”

The Bulldogs had the opportunity to tie it but were not able to connect on some late three pointers as Fishers expanded its lead from the free throw line.

Walton led the team with 19 points and his driving to the basket was the key force behind the Bulldogs breaking Fishers’ zone defense.

“He’s a guy that can change a game and he did a really good job of finally taking the ball to the rim,” Nored said. “When we took the ball to the rim we were able to set a new tone.”

To begin the game, Brownsburg got out to a quick 5-0 lead thanks to a 3-pointer from Xavier Ringo and the inside play of Kyle Thompson. Yet, Fishers answered with its first run of the game, an 8-0 outbreak.

Trevor Lucas came off the bench and gave the Bulldogs a late spark in the quarter. After blocking a shot, he hit his first 3-pointer on the other end and the two teams ended the quarter both at 14.

Both teams failed to score in the first three minutes of the second quarter until Fishers regained the lead. The Tigers played a number of different defenses at the beginning but stuck with the 2-3 zone throughout, which seemed to give the Bulldogs the most problems.

“I thought we moved the ball against it but I thought again when they started scoring then going to the zone, we rushed some shots,” Nored said.

After they settled down in the second quarter they began to control the pace. Walton added another basket on a nice floater and the Bulldogs led 21-20 at the half.

Both teams came out of halftime on fire, with the two almost doubling their scores of the first half. Then at that 1:43 mark the game changed and Fishers eventually held on to defeat the Bulldogs.