Hendricks County Flyer, Avon, IN

October 2, 2013

Tri-West splits with Frankfort

By Jeff Robison Flyer correspondent
Hendricks County Flyer

---- — LIZTON — With IHSAA sectional play just over a week away, the Tri-West boys’ and girls’ soccer teams hosted their final 2013 regular season matches on Saturday.

The Bruins’ girls booted a 5-0 victory over Frankfort, while the boys lost a heartbreaking 3-2 overtime contest that likely decided the Sagamore Conference title.


The girls’ match opened the day, and the Bruins chalked up their 12th victory of the season in convincing fashion. Tri-West played out to a 4-0 halftime lead and dominated the second half.

Tri-West coach Billy Hall commended his senior class, a group that won three Sagamore Conference titles and a sectional along the way.

“I cannot say enough about the leadership of our senior class — all of them started today, and that experience is a really valuable asset to have,” Hall said. “We really executed ball movement pretty well, and had some great assists and finishes today. We have our sights set on sectionals and the tournament now.”

Senior Sydney Carlson got things rolling with the first goal. Marita VanDyke booted in the next two goals, before Paige Newton connected on a fourth before the break. Senior Alyssa Wente, who scored her first tally of the year, dropped in the second half score.

Four of the Bruins’ goals were assisted, with Katie Parsons registering two. The other assists came from Lexi Turner and Madison Sprecher.

Keeper Karen Jones had pretty easy day in the net as she did not have to make any saves. It was the Bruins eighth shutout on the season.

Tri-West improved to 12-2 with the win in the final home match for Carlson, Wente, Parsons, Brittney Kiefer, Raegan Lentner, Abby Meyers, Lauren Mardis, Corbin Badger, and Sylvia Willis.


While the girls’ match was more one-sided, the feature match turned out to be the Bruins and Hot Dogs boys’ teams. With the two teams tied at 4-1 atop the Sagamore Conference standings, both sides knew the importance of the match.

However, after Tri-West took a 2-0 lead into halftime, Frankfort closed to tie in regulation and made a quick score in overtime to get both the win and likely league crown.

Tri-West coach Jeff Denny appeared emotional in seeing the Bruins come up short.

“We played the game that we wanted to play, but they just scored more goals than we did,” Denny said. “We lost our marks, and let down (on defense). In the overtime, Frankfort pulled our keeper out of the play and put it into the net.”

Tri-West showed more forward push early in the match, and that paid off with a penalty kick as Jaret DeGolyer was knocked to the ground in front of the Frankfort net. Lucas Brown connected the PK as Tri-West staked a 1-0 start.

Tri-West scored its second goal with 7:19 to go in the first half when Trevor Waite slid a pass for Oren Kolditz to drive into the net.

But, the forward momentum turned to Frankfort in the second half.

The Hot Dogs got a break when two defenders fell, allowing Jose Valdes to turn and kick past senior goalkeeper Matt Buckner. Frankfort continued pressing forward and broke even with 11:32 in regulation as Omar Santos made the score.

With the league crown on the line, the teams went to two seven-minute overtime periods. Again, Frankfort went into attack mode and managed to get Buckner out of position for Evan Giebel to hit a go ahead goal for the Hot Dogs.

That proved enough for the win, though Kolditz did force Frankfort’s Gerardo Morales to make a late save to preserve the win.

Tri-West fell to 10-5 on the year, as seniors Buckner, Kyle Kirby, Logan Stroup, Aaron Sorgius, and Quinton Thompson played their final home matches.