Ernest W. Lewis of Indianapolis died Jan. 19. He was 91.
He was born Dec. 19, 1922, in Pueblo, Colo. He married Caroline M. Nelson in 1945 at the Pilgrim Holiness Church in Hopeton, Okla., and she survives.
Mr. Lewis lived on his family farm outside of Boone, Colo., through high school. He excelled in both vocal and instrumental music. He attended Colorado Springs Bible College for two years before serving with the Fifth Army in Italy during World War II.
After returning from the war, he married and started in the ministry. He served the first four years as a music evangelist, singing for revival and camp meetings. For the next 25 years, he taught music at Pilgrim and Wesleyan colleges which became Oklahoma Wesleyan University. He earned a bachelor of arts degree from Azusa Pacific University, a master’s degree in vocal music from Tulsa University, and an honorary doctorate degree from Burton University.
After retirement, he entered into church music and visitation ministries. In 2009, the couple moved to Westside Garden Plaza, an independent living facility in Indianapolis, to be close to family.
Additional survivors include children Ernestine (Oren) Lewis Atkinson, Francie (Richard) Lewis Emery, Loren (Angela) Rodriguez Lewis; grandchildren Christopher Emery, Tina Atkinson Ross, Jared Emery, Angela Emery Parham, Derek Atkinson, Amy Atkinson Brown, Jason Lewis, Lora Lewis, and Chantel Lewis; and 12 great-grandchildren.
Memorials may be made to Oklahoma Wesleyan University, Lewis Alumni Park, c/o Oklahoma Wesleyan University, 2201 Silver Lake Road, Bartlesville, OK 74006.