Organizers of the 22nd Annual Spring Fling 15k Race and 5k Run/Fitness Walk are encouraging runners and walkers of all experiences to come join the fun, and help support the Plainfield High School (PHS) Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) local organization on Saturday, March 9, 2013, at the Plainfield Recreation and Aquatic Center, 651 Vestal Road.
Registration is from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m., followed by a race meeting at 8:00 a.m. The 15k race will start at 8:15 a.m., followed by the 5k race at 8:25 a.m.
“This is the 22nd year for this event,” said Steve Huckstep, who is organizing the run/walk. “It was started 22 years ago by Jeff Banning, then I took it over about 12 years ago.” Both Huckstep and Banning have worked to promote running and fitness in the Plainfield community for several years, as well as lending support to the local FCA group.
“I’ve been told that this is the best kept secret for a foot race type of event, because of our wonderful trail system,” Huckstep said. “This event highlights our Plainfield trail system. The entire race is run on the greenway system or in town parks and we only touch on one street. It really shows off what the town has done. Not taking anything away from the Monon (trail),” he said, “but our trails go all directions and we have wooded areas, it crosses White Lick Creek, and it is more than just running on city streets.”
Huckstep encourages even novice participants of any age to join in the event. “If they are looking for a training race, or a walk to help them prepare for a mini-marathon or other event, this would be the perfect event.”
Entry fees for the race are $20 per person through March 2, with the guarantee of receiving a T-shirt; or $15 without a shirt. Registration after March 2 is $25 with no shirt guaranteed. There is an additional $2 charge for XXL sizes of shirts. Prizes are awarded for several age categories.
The PHS FCA benefits local students through providing programming that helps mold young athletes and others into responsible and productive community leaders of the future.
For more information, or to obtain a registration brochure, visit www.townofplainfield.com/main, click on the “Parks Department” link and look for the “2013 SpringFling” link, or call (317) 839-7665.
Local Run/Walk Benefits Plainfield High School FCA Huddle
- Local News
Kidnapper, rapist sentenced to 100 years
DANVILLE — Michael Parrish of Indianapolis was sentenced to 100 years in prison for a Feb. 6 incident in which he kidnapped and sexually assaulted two women who had been shopping in Avon.
- Author featured in documentary Mike McCarty, CEO of Safe Hiring Solutions here, was featured in the final episode of the Investigative Channel Documentary series "Very Bad Men," which aired yesterday. The final episode focuses on McCarty's book Choking in Fear, which is a memoir o
- Indiana Academic Standards released The Indiana Department of Education (DOE) and Center for Education and Career Innovation (CECI) recently released the final draft of proposed academic standards for math and English/language arts that will guide Hoosier teachers as they create lesson
- Free skin cancer screenings offered The Dermatology Center of Indiana is offering free skin cancer screenings from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 22 and from 7:30 a.m. to noon May 10 and 17 at the new Zionsville location, 6639 Whitestown Parkway. For more information, call 732-8980 or visit t
- Man arrested for OWI resulting in wife's death AVON — A Cicero man has been arrested in connection with an accident that killed his wife over the weekend. Brandon Broady, 26, was charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated resulting in death. As of press time on Tuesday, the Avon Police De
- NASA's 'Destination Station' set to land in Indianapolis Starting April 19, residents of Indianapolis and surrounding areas are invited to experience NASA's Destination Station, a traveling multimedia exhibition designed to highlight how the International Space Station (ISS) came to be, what life is like o
- Danville Rotary Club presents golf outing The Danville Rotary Club will host the Harold Martin Open golf outing on May 15 at Twin Bridges Golf Club in Danville. The annual outing raises funds that are used to benefit Sycamore Services. The outing begins at 11 a.m. with lunch provided by Mayb
- Downtown Danville Partnership launches beautification effort Homeowners and businesses in Danville are invited to participate in a new beautification effort started here before the upcoming Mayberry in the Midwest festival on May 17-18. The Downtown Danville Partnership has formed a Main Street Beautification
- School board implements honors diploma DANVILLE -- The school board here agreed to implement a DHS Honors Diploma starting with the freshman class of 2018, next year. "We found, over time, that there is an unintended consequence when you have weighted grades, and that consequence is if a
- New musical coming to DCHS DANVILLE -- Danville Community High School will be putting on its annual musical the first weekend in May in the high school auditorium. "Thoroughly Modern Millie," based on the 1967 movie starring Julie Andrews and Mary Tyler Moore, will be performe
- More Local News Headlines
- Kidnapper, rapist sentenced to 100 years