Organizers of the 22nd Annual Spring Fling 15k Race and 5k Run/Fitness Walk are encouraging runners and walkers of all experiences to come join the fun, and help support the Plainfield High School (PHS) Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) local organization on Saturday, March 9, 2013, at the Plainfield Recreation and Aquatic Center, 651 Vestal Road.
Registration is from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m., followed by a race meeting at 8:00 a.m. The 15k race will start at 8:15 a.m., followed by the 5k race at 8:25 a.m.
“This is the 22nd year for this event,” said Steve Huckstep, who is organizing the run/walk. “It was started 22 years ago by Jeff Banning, then I took it over about 12 years ago.” Both Huckstep and Banning have worked to promote running and fitness in the Plainfield community for several years, as well as lending support to the local FCA group.
“I’ve been told that this is the best kept secret for a foot race type of event, because of our wonderful trail system,” Huckstep said. “This event highlights our Plainfield trail system. The entire race is run on the greenway system or in town parks and we only touch on one street. It really shows off what the town has done. Not taking anything away from the Monon (trail),” he said, “but our trails go all directions and we have wooded areas, it crosses White Lick Creek, and it is more than just running on city streets.”
Huckstep encourages even novice participants of any age to join in the event. “If they are looking for a training race, or a walk to help them prepare for a mini-marathon or other event, this would be the perfect event.”
Entry fees for the race are $20 per person through March 2, with the guarantee of receiving a T-shirt; or $15 without a shirt. Registration after March 2 is $25 with no shirt guaranteed. There is an additional $2 charge for XXL sizes of shirts. Prizes are awarded for several age categories.
The PHS FCA benefits local students through providing programming that helps mold young athletes and others into responsible and productive community leaders of the future.
For more information, or to obtain a registration brochure, visit www.townofplainfield.com/main, click on the “Parks Department” link and look for the “2013 SpringFling” link, or call (317) 839-7665.
Local Run/Walk Benefits Plainfield High School FCA Huddle
- Local News
- Anter July 17, 2014 Walter A. Anter of Danville died July 17. He was 77.Born Dec. 16, 1936, in New Richmond, Ohio, he was a son of Louis and Percolla (Strasinger) Anter. He married Pam Money on Aug. 3, 1981, and she survives.Mr. Anter worked in mechanical engineering, d
- County players shine in South win INDIANAPOLIS — Hendricks County players did their share in Friday’s Grange Insurance All-Star Classic at North Central High School, as the South stomped the North, 30-2.Avon’s Cress Kimbrough and Brownsburg’s Brandon Dowers accounted for 12 points in
- Family Promise awarded use variance AVON — The continuation of a request for a use variance resumed Thursday at the Avon Town Hall.Parties from both Family Promise and the adjoining neighborhood, Stratford of Avon, packed the room at the Avon Board of Zoning Appeals meeting to discuss
- Stewart, Gordon ready for Brickyard It’s hard to ignore the Hoosier connections going into the Crown Royal presents the John Wayne Walding at the Brickyard powered by BigMachineRecords.com race. Two-time winner Tony Stewart calls Indianapolis Motor Speedway his home track. Four-time wi
- Bulldog Little Leaguers advance to semis PLAINFIELD — Though the Brownsburg Little Leaguers advanced out of pool play in the fourth, and final spot, the Bulldogs drew into undefeated Golfmoor in the Indiana State Little League Tournament to set up a daunting quarterfinals matchup with a No.
- Event to raise money for Alzheimer's disease At 7 p.m. Aug. 8, “Dragstars” and “Dudettes” will once again come together in support of Alzheimer’s disease.The Z’Sparkle Party and Drag Race to End Alzheimer’s, which will take place on Main Street in Zionsville, calls upon some of the community’s
- Thompson April 24, 2014 Helen “Louise” (Overton) Blum Thompson od Danville died April 24. She was 92.A memorial service is noon Saturday at Bartlett Chapel United Methodist Church in Avon.Weaver & Randolph Funeral Home in Danville is handling arrangements.
- Suicide prevention training held Aug. 2 Mental Health America of Hendricks County (MHAHC) is offering QPR, a suicide prevention training program, to the general public. QPR stands for Question, Persuade, and Refer — three simple steps that anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide.
- Nicoll crash at raceway in 1970 spooks 'The Snake' In the Top Fuel final round during the 1970 Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals, Don “The Snake” Prudhomme lined up against Jim “Superman” Nicoll for a much-anticipated battle in the world’s most prestigious drag race.As the two slingshot dragsters
- Ride raises money for HRH infant program Proceeds of $4,445 raised at the fifth annual Little Angels Ride will help the Infant Bereavement Program at Hendricks Regional Health.Funds are used to support families who have lost children due to miscarriage, stillborn or infant death.The program
- More Local News Headlines