Indianapolis Metropolitan Police are investigating a fatal shooting believed to have happened in the parking lot at Lafayette Square Mall shortly after 2 p.m. Wednesday.
Authorities were called to the 4200 block of North Lafayette Road after a call came into the 911 dispatch center reporting that a person had been shot at that location.
The man, later identified as 21-year-old Robert Mitcham of Indianapolis, was pronounced dead on the scene by Emergency Medical Services personnel.
Authorities say the shooting most likely took place in the mall parking lot in the 3900 block of North Lafayette Road. Detectives are attempting to locate the crime scene now and are interviewing witnesses.
No one has been arrested, and no suspect information is available at this time.
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 327-3475 or Crime Stoppers at 262-TIPS (8477). Callers may also text “INDYCS” plus tip information to 274627 (CRIMES).
- Local News
- Court observers predict 'wide open' process of picking of next chief |INDIANAPOLIS — State Supreme Court Chief Justice Brent Dickson surprised observers in June when he decided to step down after a brief tenure in the leadership post. Another surprise may be in store when his replacement is named. A seven-member pane
- Home security scammer target of state AG lawsuit |Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller has filed a lawsuit against Jerome Edmond and USA Promotions for making illegal pre-recorded calls and for impersonating an ADT home security systems representative. This marketing followed several high profile
- National Night Out returns to county The 31st annual National Night Out event is Aug. 5 at various locations around Hendricks County. National Night Out is designed to heighten crime and drug prevention awareness, generate support for crime prevention, and strengthen neighborhood spirit
- New swap meet/farmers' market gets traction in North Salem NORTH SALEM — The BFE Trading Post just happens to be in Putnam County but the mailbox is in Hendricks County and it has a North Salem address. It's also just around the corner from McCloud Nature Park and is home to the bi-monthly BFE Farms Swap Mee
- Plane Pull Challenge to be held Sept. 6 The 13th annual FedEx Plane Pull Challenge for Special Olympics Indiana will be Sept. 6 at the Indianapolis International Airport, 2475 Hoffman Road. The Plane Pull Challenge is the largest single day fundraiser for Special Olympics Indiana. Teams of
Rising up to meet Putin's thuggery
Any illusions I had about the progressive nature of the Vladimir Putin’s Russian regime quickly dissipated when I returned to my Moscow Grand Marriott room in August 2007. Upon opening the door, I was greeted with the spectacle of my papers and note
Union drama at the Metropolitan Opera
The fat lady will sing — but only in strict keeping with the work rules set out by the American Guild of Musical Artists. The Metropolitan Opera has a labor problem. Personnel expenses account for $200 million of the financially struggling Met's $32
- Expectations too high for a rehabbing Woods Even when Tiger Woods finished just a few strokes from last place at the British Open, he was one of the featured topics in stories coming out of Royal Liverpool Golf Club.Stories about Woods followed two themes: He is finished, and his once-sterling
- Hauler Parade kicks off Brickyard activities SPEEDWAY — The Hauler Parade is quickly becoming a tradition for NASCAR fans who visit Indy for the Kroger Super Weekend at the Brickyard. The event is in its third year and welcomed numerous people, young and old alike.The parade of more than 40 NAS
- -- Countdown continues -- On Sept. 6, 1982 at Indianapolis, Shirley Muldowney captured the greatest victory of her outstanding Top Fuel career.Already a two-time Top Fuel world champion and winner of 15 national events, Muldowney’s history-making victory at the Chevrolet Perf
- More Local News Headlines