This year, online holiday sales are expected to reach $82 billion, an increase of 15 percent from last year.
The Indiana Department of Homeland Security advises shoppers that when shopping online not only during the holiday season, but throughout the year, it is important to keep security in mind. Thieves can easily gain access to bank account and personal information.
These important online shopping safety tips can help keep personal information secure from hackers and online criminals.
• Keep any virus protection or other computer security software updated on the computer that will be used for online shopping.
• Make sure the Internet connection is secure.
• Use complex passwords to safeguard personal information like credit card numbers and billing addresses. A combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters offers the most protection.•- Avoid visiting unknown web pages. Stick to shopping only well-known, reputable sites.
• When making online purchases with a credit or debit card, use a secure online escrow broker to provide payment.
• If available, consider using a virtual credit card service. Many banks offer this service. Virtual credit cards can only be used once and usually expire in 24 hours.
For more online shopping and holiday safety tips, visit the website at GetPrepared.IN.gov.