DANVILLE — County commissioners here held their first meeting of the new year on Tuesday, and approved the purchase of a new fleet of vehicles for various departments.
Hendricks County Sheriff Dave Galloway and Fleet Manager Terry Kennard were on hand to present the proposed vehicle purchases for the sheriff’s department.
Galloway told commissioners that new vehicles were needed because many current vehicles are high in mileage and the department needs more four-wheel drive vehicles because it currently only has one.
“You guys know how the weather has been (and) sometimes our crime scenes are out in the middle of fields and things like that,” he said. “We need them. It’s better for our K9s too.”
The proposed purchases for the sheriff’s department included:
- Two 2013 Dodge Durango all-wheel drive vehicles at $25,036 each ($50,072 total), which will replace a ‘09 Impala and ‘09 Charger for the K9 unit;
- One ‘13 Dodge Durango all-wheel drive with trailer tow package for $25,511, which will replace a detective/administrative ‘08 Durango 4x4 with more than 115,000 miles;
- One ‘13 Chrysler 200 Sedan for $17,880, which will replace an ‘08
Impala that will be moved to the county engineering department to replace its ‘04 Ford Taurus;
- One ‘13 Dodge Charger V6 for $21,828, which will replace a detective/administrative ‘08 Charger with more that 100,000 miles; and
- Five 2013 V8 Dodge Charger Patrol Cars at $23,152 each ($115,760 total), which will replace five ‘08 Ford Crown Victoria patrol units, all with more than 100,000 miles.
The proposal also includes the purchase of a ‘13 two-wheel drive Dodge Ram Pickup Crew Cab for the county planning department at $20,151; a ‘13 4x4 Dodge Ram Crew Cab pickup for the county health department at $22,092; and a ‘13 two-wheel drive Dodge Ram Pickup Crew Cab for the county engineering department at $20,151. The previous departments’ vehicles were all exceeding 100,00 miles.
The pricetag for all of the purchases is a little over $294,000, and all vehicles will be from Indiana State Quantity Purchase Agreement (QPA) listings or Johnson County Commissioner Bids.